Wednesday 3 June 2015

Cherry

'Cherry' collage by Paul Vallance.
I made this collage some while ago and viewed it with some suspicion initially-worried that it might offend and be construed as objectifying. I like it more now and feel its closer to the true spirit of surrealism than many of my collages.  I find it mysterious and melancholic.
The buildings came from a fifties photography book of London scenes; the figures bottom right and left are market porters at the old Covent Garden market. The frosted tree in the background is from a winter sports photo.
The female model was taken from a contemporary lesbian and gay magazine; an article about lesbian erotica. I'm not sure if the woman is seated statue like on a plinth or emerging from a box. Although she is naked she has dignity.
 I included the arched structure as a nod to De Chirico who I'm a big fan of, adding the clock face, but removing the hands to give a suggestion of timelessness.